Do you dream of working independently and being completely mobile? Would you like to write and share compelling articles about an important subject with the world around you? Then the online career of blogging might be for you.
In this article, we will look at what it takes to become a blogger, and what bloggers actually spends their time on. We will also answer common questions like:
- How do you get paid as a blogger?
- Do bloggers actually make money?
- How much money do bloggers make?
- How do you start a blog?
What does a blogger actually do?
A blogger spends his or her time on the following activities:
- Owns a website with a certain URL address
- Writes and publishes articles within a subject of intertest
- A blog can be both professional and personal. Professional bloggers make a fulltime living off blogging. Personal blogs are not monetized and are hobby blogs
- A blog always has a specific subject matter of interest to you. There are blogs about fashion, gardening, cars, recipes, make-up, racing, history, spirituality, faith and much more.
- Do webmastering tasks such as technical updates of the blogging platform, install plug-ins etc
- Do creative and design related task such as webdesign, photography
- Do marketing and networking work in order to make your blog known by others
It is possible to be employed as a professional blogger for a company, however this is more rare
5 steps to becoming a blogger
Anyone can call themselves a blogger. It just means you write online articles on a regular basis. There is however a big differences between blogging on a hobby basis and making a living from it. The practical steps are:
- Get the idea for a topic for your blog
- Establish a blog, including its URL. You must decide if you want your own domain and pay for address and hosting, or a free blogging address
- Free blog : There are a number of good sites that let you blog for free, for example tumblr. or wordpress. Here you can get started with a blog. You can also later convert it to your own domain.
- Own domain name and platform : For more serious blogging purposes, choose a web hosting (storage of your web pages) with the option to install a good blogging platform (such as wordpress) in one and the same. The cost of having your own domain and hosting can be as little as 30-60$ yearly.Establish a blog, including its URL. You must decide if you want your own domain and pay for address and hosting, or a free blogging address
- Then start writing articles on your blog regularly. This is where the majority of your time will be spent
- Publish and distribute the content of your blog to others
- Maintain your blog by installing technical updates, improving search engine position, updating articles
How to become a successful blogger
You now have a blog – now what? Many have tried blogging – and failed. Very often people will write 5-10 articles and lose interest because they didn’t see that many visitors or you simply lost interest.
If you want to get serious about blogging, here are some of the best advice to become successful:
- Vision : You need a vision. The idea and topic should inspire you. It’s crucial that you find the blog topic interesting. For instance, don’t blog about fashion because you’ve heard that fashion blogs are easily monetized. Only successful fashion blogs make money. If the topic is not interesting to you, you will find it difficult to write that next article and the inspiration will not shine through.
- Read and study: In order to be successful, you need to do research about your subject. Set aside time to study and read other resources. They will also inspire you to write new articles
- Be consistent, write, write and write: Make a plan to publish articles regularly. It is important that your blog has new, fresh articles for both readers and Google search engine. This subject is where most people fail.
- Be unique: Don’t copy from others. Write everything yourself. Don’t write for SEO. Write for quality. Write from a place of inspiration
- Marketing: In some way, even if you are not a sales person, you have to make an effort to tell the world about your blog – to advertise it. Participate in discussions online and share your blog address. Maybe have a social media profile and share your articles from it (facebook/twitter)
- SEO: You will need to work on optimizing your search engine ranking. Sometimes this means writing related articles, updating your technical platform and solving mobile usability issues.
- Make money: Work with monetization, ie. start to make money on your blog through Google adsense, other ad networks, sponsorships or affiliate marketing. This is where thing gets fun!
How much money do bloggers make
Making money as a blogger is actually quite difficult
- Less than 8% of bloggers are able to have it as their prime source of income (source)
How much money do people make, then?
- 9% make between $1,000 and $10,000 a month and
- 4% make over $10,000 a month.
- But the vast majority makes less than $3.50 per day (source)
- How to be a good blogger (Wikihow)
- How to start a blog (theblogstarter)
- Want to become a star blogger (TheGuardian)
- 7 steps to becoming a successful blogger (themetrust)
- Being a paid blogger (Lifewire)